Canadian Online Pharmacy

New Media Medicine Forums - Medical News

New Media Medicine Forums - Medical News


GradMed GAMSAT Strategy Weekend 8/9th Sept 2012 - Worth It?

Posted: 04 Sep 2012 03:29 AM PDT

Hello All,

I have been following this forum for a while now without making a post, but the time has come. I have just got through the UKCAT process, but now with GAMSAT nearing I am panicking, having done little preparation. I have seen that GradMed are doing a 1 or 2-day course this weekend - moreso regarding strategy for the GAMSAT exam rather than regarding specific content. I wondered if anyone had been, was going, or had an appraisal of the usefulness of this? It's £185 or £295 (hopefully the image upload will work). I'm sceptical about paying for courses etc, but with the deadline so tight and this course sounding pretty useful and reasonably-priced, it's a consideration. I'd be grateful of any opinions...

Thanks Everyone!Click image for larger version.     Name:	GRADMED.jpg   Views:	2   Size:	9.5 KB   ID:	1062
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version.     Name:	GRADMED.jpg   Views:	N/A   Size:	9.5 KB   ID:	1062  

whos' going then?

Posted: 04 Sep 2012 03:05 AM PDT

hey guys,

i see theres not too long left until it starts, so i was wondering who had offers and who's going to Glasgow?

Graduate Entry Medicine

Posted: 04 Sep 2012 02:43 AM PDT

Hi all. I achieved AABC in Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry at A Level (I didn't try very hard at Chemistry as I didn't need it at the time but I got As in all the sciences at GCSE) and went on to achieve a First Class degree in Engineering at University of Bristol and then got accepted to undertake a PhD in Material Science (involving engineering/chem) with a taught element in the first year and have achieved in the 70s and 80s in all my 'taught' modules. When I complete my thesis in a couple of years time I really want to study medicine. I am resitting the A level Chemistry this year more for self-satisfaction because I know I can do well if I try, rather than specifically for medicine, although I am worried the C won't look good. I also have voluntary first aid/care home/youth work experience and am about to undertake some ward volunteering and GP shadowing. Any advice on how I could strengthen my application over the next two years? Do I realistically stand a chance?

unusual doubt

Posted: 03 Sep 2012 06:26 PM PDT

Is it possible to change course in university? for example, if i entre into medicine course, if i do not like it, is it possible to change to dentistry?

deferred entry in 2014

Posted: 03 Sep 2012 02:36 PM PDT

Hi everyone!

In an email I received from a university it said somewhere "If you wish to apply for entry in 2013 (or deferred entry in 2014)"....

This may seem a stupid doubt, but what is a "deferred entry in 2014"? I mean, how is this entry possible, in which circumstances does it happen?

do i even have a chance or am i fooling myself

Posted: 03 Sep 2012 01:16 PM PDT

hello guys, i am hoping to apply for 2013 medicine and currently completing my last couple of months as a student nurse. i have Alevel science from 12 years ago mostly c's and i did somewhat okay in my UKCAT exam. reading peoples messages, i realised that majority of applicants have A's and B's and am not sure a 2:1 degree in Nursing will be enough...:(

personal statement dilemma

Posted: 03 Sep 2012 12:59 PM PDT

am sure am the only one still drafting my PS at this late stage. i just kept on changing and adding stuffs as am hoping to write something that will catch the attentions of the universities so that they can invite me for an interview.any pointers will be well appreciated.

Work experience woes

Posted: 03 Sep 2012 10:08 AM PDT

Hi chaps,
Was wondering if someone wise could advise me on the importance of work experience for a GEM application?

I hope I've got a competitive academic record - I got a 1st in Chemistry MSci at Bristol and I'm halfway through a PhD in Cancer Research at UCL. I just did the UKCAT last week and got a 765 which was a nice surprise. However, I'm somewhat let down by my measly work experience which consists of a week shadowing a GP and 1 week observing a consultant dermatologist . I'm going to struggle to get much more between now and October as my PhD is basically a full-time job (and a bit!). I've worked with doctors occasionally during my PhD but don't come into contact with patients. Do you reckon I could spin this out into a half-decent personal statement? I think I've got a good idea of the realities of a career in medicine but have never really gotten my hands dirty!

Also I'd like to defer entry as there is a chance I will be working in the US this time next year and unable to apply for 2014 entry. Hopefully this constitutes a good reason? Oxford, KCL and Newcastle all accept deferred entry and seem to be quite academically inclined so these will be the three I apply to.

Any thoughts on my chances would be much appreciated!

Matt

My UKCAT Score and experiences

Posted: 03 Sep 2012 09:43 AM PDT

Hi guya, just finished my ukcat exam, I got:
VR: 700
QR: 700
AR: 620
DA: 600

FEEL FREE TO ASK ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT THE UKCAT EXAM :)

I was hoping to apply to Oxford, Nottingham, Leicester and Leeds. Is this doable with this score and the following grades? Or should I add another BMAT uni or non-ukcat uni just incase?
GCSEs: 6 A* , 3 As , 2Bs
AS levels: AAAAB (Maths, Chemistry, Biology, General studies and a B in english lit. Getting english lit remarked as it was 2 marks off an A grade)

I'm not too worried about my personal statement or work experience as I'm quite confident with them. Any help would be brilliant with this.

Thanks guys,
Irum.

Opthalmology Foundation years advice

Posted: 03 Sep 2012 04:59 AM PDT

I'm very interested in doing Opthalmology as a specialty but there are very few junior posts. I have only found 1 F1 placement in Exeter and F2 training posts in Frimley Park. Neither of these hospitals are in the deaneries that I would like to apply for.

Is it worth gettinga foundation job in Opthalmology or would it be wiser to do something else during foundation years and then apply for SHO jobs in opthalmology instead. Also does were you did your foundations years matter to your chance of getting onto the training program?

Advice need on Choosing a North London Deanery

Posted: 03 Sep 2012 04:48 AM PDT

I have after much soul searching decided to apply to a London Deanery but it's very difficult for me to choose between the 3 North Thames Deaneries.

I really like North West Thames just because of its geographic distribution but I understand that it is very competitive and most successful applicants over the last few years have scored >84. I don't know whether it would be good to just go for it and list NWT as my first choice or to be more cautious and choose North Central or North East.

North Central was less oversubscribed at only 150% rather than 300% of North West but all successful applicants have >81. I don't think my score would be much over the 80 mark and therefore I'd end up in Lister/QEII or Luton for most of my placement.

North East has some really good hospitals in central london that I really like and it's not as oversubscribed as the other 2. I haven't been able to find the statistics of successful applicants to NE (if anyone knows I would be very grateful). I'm thinking the score is also going to be really high.

I would like some advice on which deanery would be the best to apply for.