Canadian Online Pharmacy

New Media Medicine Forums - Medical News

New Media Medicine Forums - Medical News


Suggestions for Graduate Courses?

Posted: 05 Sep 2012 03:45 AM PDT

Hi All,

Apologies for this thread, but i'm considering where to apply and where I will stand the best chances and thought I'd ask for some suggestions.

My Background:

2.1 MSci Natural Sciences (UCL) - it's a middling 2.1 though, as had some extenuating circumstances in my final year, and degree percentage overall isn't amazing.

HCA @ Kings College Hospital - currently working in Orthopaedics, Trauma and Max Fax, and have worked at Royal Free Hospital and UCH as well - total hospital based experience 6-9 months cumulatively.

UKCAT: VR 700, QR 770, AR 680, DA 710

Was also RAF Cadet Flight Sergeant, UCL Academic Affairs Officer 2 years running and work with disadvantaged youths in South London at present.

Ideally would like London Based unis if possible and KCL is a consideration, but any suggestions would be more than welcome.

A

My UKCAT Experiences - from 595 to 715

Posted: 05 Sep 2012 03:35 AM PDT

Hi Guys,

Relative newbie so go easy.

I've sat the UKCAT several times now, and this is the first time I can honestly say I am fairly pleased with my UKCAT Results.

2009: VR 620, QR 630, AR 540, DA 610
2010: VR 560, QR 700, AR 440, DA 550
2011: VR 600, QR 650, AR 580, DA 540

These results really got me down and I struggled within myself as to whether or not to pursue Medicine, bearing in mind, I'd had 11 straight rejections and 1 Rejection after Interview (UCL).

I've yet to apply for 2013 as a Graduate Entrant, but I did some serious soul-searching and decided to give it one more go and go ALL OUT.

I realised that my preparation was ineffective and that on each occasion my AR was the lowest score. I therefore targetted that as my starter.

I undertook the Kaplan course as well as the OnExamination BMJ Exams and practised those for a few weeks, plus the 600 Questions and SHL Online tests (It's cost me dear).

These are my results for 2012:

VR 700, QR 770, AR 680, DA 710.

My advice to those who are worried about the UKCAT is to practice, practice and practice. I made the mistake 3 years in a row of believing that it was a test that you could not prepare for.

MedPrep Home Study GAMSAT Course for Sale

Posted: 05 Sep 2012 01:38 AM PDT

I am selling my copy of the MedPrep Professional Home Study GAMSAT course book.

It includes:

  • 1,100 pages of printed course materials (section 1, section 2, chemistry, organic, physics, biology)
    More than 1,000 questions
    Mini exam papers on each section.


Costs £289 brand new from the Medrep website but offering for £85 ono.

See attached pictures.

Leaving the UK on the 20th so needs to be sold by then
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version.     Name:	photo 1.JPG   Views:	N/A   Size:	45.1 KB   ID:	1066   Click image for larger version.     Name:	photo 2.JPG   Views:	N/A   Size:	40.0 KB   ID:	1065  

Ukcat score?

Posted: 04 Sep 2012 10:20 AM PDT

UKCAT scores
VR: 590
QR: 740
AR: 690
DA: 600
Average: 655

Worked really hard for UKCAT, i did so much practicing and am now gutted :( had a massive panic during VR. Don't know what happened about DA tbh, was my best section by far in practices :( Is this gonna impair my chances of getting into medical school by a huge amount? Obviously I'm not gonna apply to KCL cos they care about that loads, but what about Newcastle/Durham (opinion on which is better?) or Edinburgh?

I got 10 A*s for my GCSES and 4 As at AS-level.
I'm gonna take the BMAT too, cos i want to apply to UCL or maybe Oxford (i know its impossible but may aswell try i love it so much) Birmingham apparently doesn't use UKCAT so might apply there.

What do you guys think?
Thanks xxxxxxx

Are My Dreams Of Medicine Over For This Application Cycle?

Posted: 04 Sep 2012 06:46 AM PDT

So I just got back from sitting my UKCAT and got:

VR: 660 QR: 640 AR: 600 DA: 640

Average: 635

I am absolutely devastated by these results, especially AR and DA as I often easily hit 750-800 in both of these in the practices.

I was hoping to apply to Warwick, Kings, Imperial and Barts, but now I'm not sure there is any point in applying at all this year and just try again next year.

I'm predicted a first in my final year of Biomedical sciences. My A levels aren't great (aside an A* in Biology) and my GCSE's are average at best (mostly C's) so the 5 year is out of my reach too.

So, be honest, should I give up for this application cycle?

Any suggestions to what I could do for a year if I did decide not to apply/get rejected?