Canadian Online Pharmacy

New Media Medicine Forums - Medical News

New Media Medicine Forums - Medical News


Where do I stand?

Posted: 10 Jul 2014 01:46 PM PDT

I've been doing some reading about how to get into medicine as a mature student and a lot of material doesn't really seem to reflect my situation.

I did very well in Grammar school but got expelled prior to my GCSE's. Since then I've pretty much done nothing more than a few irrelevant A Level courses that I dropped out of. I'm now 28. I have basic C's at GCSE and nothing else...

All the material I can find about mature entry into medicine talks about graduates, people with existing A Levels/GCSEs and other such half-way-there examples.

I've always been obsessed with medicine but until a few years ago I just couldn't get out of my own way and never had the balls to make the first step incase I failed. Last year I finally made the first step by taking 8 AS exams in Biology, Chemistry and Psychology and successfully applied for 2014 entry to study biomedical science.

I got 4xA*'s and 4xA's. I wasn't expecting to do that well and medicine naturally cropped up again. I convinced myself to consider medicine as a hobby and continue as planned. Unfortunately I became ill earlier this year and have since spent a lot of time in hospitals and couldn't finish all of my exams (although I should still be eligible for clearing).

Anyway, having spent so much time in hospital I've realised medicine isn't a casual hobby for me. I'm obsessed with it. Always have been and always will be and I can't settle for being a bystander anymore. I've already lined up some shadow work and I've applied for some HCA work but I'm not sure if I need to go pre-med or I will actually be able to get straight into med school with A Levels and extra curricular work.

Any thoughts? If this all sounds childish I apologise. I don't think I've ever mentioned it/spoken out loud about it before so I'm not entire sure how it reads back. Thanks.

Forum Upgrade 17th and 18th July

Posted: 10 Jul 2014 07:33 AM PDT

Hi folks, we'll be performing some upgrades to the site over the 17th and 18th of July so please expect some downtime.

Best wishes,

Chris