Canadian Online Pharmacy

New Media Medicine Forums - Medical News

New Media Medicine Forums - Medical News


Improving academics - degree vs A levels

Posted: 31 Jan 2015 04:14 PM PST

Hey all.

Im applying for a place on medicine right now. So far 2 out of 4 have been rejections, and I have one unconditional offer for Medical Physiology at KCL - which could serve as a route into grad med. So I am weighing my options now, and making plans on the chance that I do not get in to medicine this time around.

I have a good amount of experience. I have been in the Police as both a volunteer Police officer, and as an interviewer in Police recruitment. I have spent 1 year in the NHS in a healthcare assistant-like role, and have significant clinical and non clinical medical experience. I have been a volunteer with St. John Ambulance for >1 year. I however have bad academics. I took a Life Sciences Access-like course at Birkbeck, but everyone apart from Kings doesnt like it. If Kings (who I am still waiting for) dont like the rest of my application, im stuffed.

So I have a choice. Do I go for...
A100: I already have the experience advantage, and only need to improve on my academics. Which means redoing my A levels, and hoping universities give me a second look due to my medical complications the first time around.
Graduate Medicine: I do the Medical Physiology degree, get a 1st, get into grad med. The challenge here is that I will no longer have the experience advantage against other applicants, who will be experienced nurses, physiotherapists, etc.

What would you do in my place? Would you try to keep improving the academics to get into A100, or start over, and take the longer (and potentially more dangerous - not sure why I would be chosen over experienced medical professionals) A102 route?

Thanks

Are these A levels good for medicine?

Posted: 31 Jan 2015 12:42 PM PST

Im thinking of studying Psychology, Biology and Chemistry to A2 level and doing either Maths AS or Critical Thinking AS?
which would be more useful: maths or critical thinking?
Also would psychology be thought of highly by universities?
Thank you